red arrow in circle with text that reads 5 min.

D117 Families, Students, Staff & Community Members,

This is the October edition of a monthly email update wherein you will receive timely reminders and links for upcoming events in Community High School District #117. We promise to keep this to a 5 minute read (or less!) !

1. Thank a Principal, Assistant Principal, or Dean on Principal Appreciation Day!

Today is Principal Appreciation Day in Illinois! This state-endorsed recognition was first approved by the Governor of Illinois in 1990 and is celebrated annually.

Principal Appreciation Day provides us the opportunity to publicly recognize the work, commitment and importance of our Community High School District 117 Principals, Assistant Principals, and Deans! We invite all students, parents, staff, and community members to say thank you to these dedicated leaders the next time you see them in the halls or at an event! They work tirelessly to support the success of our Eagles and Sequoits and we are lucky to have them as leaders in our district!

2. Winter Sports Registration  

We want to wish all of our fall programs still competing the very best of luck in the IHSA state series events in coming weeks!  Winter athletics are starting over the next 4 weeks, so be sure to register by using this link and be part of great programs and traditions this winter. 

3. How will we decide if we need to close school for an E-Learning Day due to weather?

We have had beautiful weather during these first three months of the school year, but as autumn turns to winter, we must acknowledge the possibility of a severe winter storm in the coming months. This link addresses the common question: How do we decide when it is necessary to close school and implement an E-Learning Day due to inclement weather?

4. AP Exam Registration Reminders

For students enrolled in Advanced Placement classes wishing to take their course exam in May, registration is due by Monday, November 7, 2022 at midnight. Our School Board supports AP students by paying 90% of the registration fee, leaving families responsible for only 10% of the registration fee if paid for on time. After November 7, a College Board late fee of $40 will apply for each exam. For information on registration and fees, please refer to the letter for your school here: ACHS Letter; LCHS Letter.

5. District 117 Superfan Featured on the CBS National Evening News! 

If you missed it when it aired last month, please take a couple of minutes to watch the video online of the segment of the CBS National News featuring community member Steve Young by following this link! 

The segment was broadcast on the national broadcast of the CBS Evening News with Norah O’Donnell as part of Steve Hartman’s “On the Road” series. The segment was titled “91-year-old high school sports superfan hasn't missed a game in decades — not even after he was hit by lightning” and is a can’t miss! Thank you to Mr. Young for his more than 7 decades of dedicated support of our student athletics and activities!

Have a question or topic for our November update?

If you have a question or topic you would like us to include in our November update, please feel free to share your idea with our superintendent, Dr. Jeff Feucht via email ( ) or via phone (direct line: 847.838.7679 ).